photo home-6.jpg  photo family.jpg  photo loves-1.jpg  photo nest.jpg  photo chat-1.jpg

Friday, February 4

Show Us Your Life: What do you feed your kids???

It's been a while since I've done a Kelly's Korner - Show Us Your Life, but today's topic seemed right up my alley!

I have to admit.. I am a crazy lady when it comes to what my kids eat!! Over the past year or so, I have really buckled down and started buying healthier food for them. I read ALOT on the internet and talk to other parents about good vs bad. One of the advantages of working at the preschool is that I can see what other kids are bringing in their lunches and it helps give me ideas for my own! Now.. I dont go overboard! We are not on the verge of going solely organic or becoming vegetarians or anything like that, but I am very concious of what my kids are eating! They, for the most part, are completely organic eaters (at home really, I dont freak out when they eat other places/homes!). I try to steer clear of anything with high fructose corn syrup and artificial sweetners. Luckily, there are so many options these days and you can pretty much find an organic counterpart to almost anything you want to buy!!

We try to get as many organic fruits and veggies as possible (definitely if they're for the kiddos/lunches). And for meats.. we definitley try to get organic chicken since that's what they eat the most of and it can have the most hormone/anitibiotic trouble! I also like to buy the all natural/free range beef. It actually tastes alot better! I'm not really picky about much else b/c they dont eat as much of that. (see.. i'm not all that ridiculous! ha!)

We also LOVE Annie's Homegrown!!! We eat alot of this... and these... they come in several "flavors"! My kids love them all!

and these... I HATE fruit snacks!!! SO bad for their teeth!! But, when I do give in, I go for these!

and they LOVE this snack mix!!!

For lunches, I either get Deli meat (i have to see them slice it! ha!) or they get PB&J... I am a big fan of the Smuckers Organic brand! Now, we haven't tried Nutella, but I've heard great things and hope they'll try it soon!



For juice boxes, I rotate between Honest Kids and Apple & Eve..




these are GREAT for Ethan b/c they're small! I usually give him one and then water!

They eat Extra Fiber Whole Wheat bread. I think we buy the Orowheat brand. They mostly get this b/c LK has to have it as part of her "extra fiber" diet. But they like it!
They also really like these!! I usually keep them around for afternoon snacks! We'll also get the Fiber One brand sometimes and they like those too.

My kiddos have been off of cow's milk for almost a year now! They love Silk! (esp the chocolate! ha!) They only cow's milk they get is if something is cooked with it or they eat something with shredded cheese (and we try to limit that!) Now, Chris and I still drink good ol' 2% and LOVE it!! We just couldn't give it up! ;)
When I do give in.. they LOVE the Horizon boxes!!

I'm also a big fan of these!!! SMART idea!!!

So.. as you can see.. I really try to feed them as healthy as possible! For dinners, we mostly cook the same. Maybe healthier oil options, baking instead of frying, whole wheat pastas and breads.. things like that! I do know that we also will get organic spaghetti sauces and salad dressings. I ALWAYS get the ketchup with No HFCS! That's a must! Luckily, my kiddos are like me and are not big candy eaters! (except for the after school dum-dum that E likes to pick up on his way out!) ;)

For the new baby, we plan to make all of his/her baby food and I'm going to try my best to nurse for as long as possible! (we'll see how that goes! ha!) So, hopefully Baby will be a very healthy eater too!!

I can't really think of anything else, but if I do I'll be sure to add it! :)
Photobucket

No comments: